My Links: Bio | Homestarrunner! | Jeep Goodies | Rate U'r Hangover | Real Men of Genius

 

A retelling of my life in DC and all the stupid ass sh!t I get myself into...



Savings

It seems like for the past year or so, I've been saving or cutting back on my spending for one thing or another. First it was for the wedding, ok that makes sense. It's a big event, lets make sure the cash is available. Next it was time for the down payment. Also, very sensible. The more cash up front the more reasonable the payments will end up being. So that needs saving for. Once you get past the down payment, then there are closing costs. Almost like Down Payment 2.0. Again, very sensible. The more money you put in, the lower your payment numbers are going to end up.

Great, those events are over it's time to relax, right? Wrong. Now it's time to boost the emergency savings up to 6-8 months of mortgage payments. That's the rule of thumb depending on who you ask. I've always heard it was six, and the average financial person agrees with that. But Suze Orman has bumped her recommendation out to 8 months. Whether it's 6 or it's 8, it's important to have that cushion and I am now working towards it. It seems like quite a challenging goal, but it will be met. However, watching this pattern, I can't help but wonder... "What's next?"

Labels:

posted by Cptn S.A. Ho @ 8:37 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home