My Links: Bio | Homestarrunner! | Jeep Goodies | Rate U'r Hangover | Real Men of Genius

 

A retelling of my life in DC and all the stupid ass sh!t I get myself into...



First Impressions

Welcome to the neighborhood... finally! Your house has been finished, you've plunked down one of the biggest checks of your life. So, what now? Time to meet the folks in the hood, that's what. In my row of buildings, I've only had a chance to meet my neighbors next door to me in a larger home. They are very nice and have a little dog that doesn't seem to bark very much. Other than them, I've met only one other home owner in my row and shall we say I'm already not a fan. I have every intention of trying to get to know this guy better, perhaps that initial 'I'm an a$$ w/ little man's disease' prognosis was incorrect? Who knows, perhaps we just didn't jive? Other than those two houses, that's all I've met in my row of homes for now. I'm hoping for some more cool folks moving in soon.

In an effort to meet more folks, there was a community get together this past weekend in the form of a cook out. On first glance, there are a lot of pretty people in this community. It looks like most everyone takes good care of them selves and clearly works hard to be able to afford to live here and their life style. Some folks are nice, some are a little standoffish. To be honest, it felt a little bit like the first day of high school walking in there for me. You could clearly see which folks stood off on their little crew that felt they were entirely too cool, you could see the folks that were honestly warm and friendly, and the folks that weren't sure they wanted to be there. So far, the cool kids clearly out number everyone else. I'm sure that's b/c the community has been around for a bit and I'm the new kid coming in, it just takes time to break in.

I dove right in and tried to shake as many hands and meet as many folks as were interested in speaking to me. I'm self admittedly terrible with names, but I hope at future events I'll be seeing some of the same folks so that it will become easier in time. Walking around in the neighbor hood and on the streets, everyone seems very pleasant and nice but in that group setting it did seem to get a little clickie. I'm sure I just have to get to know the folks a little better. In the mean time, I've offered assistance to help out with the community digital forum. I am pretty good with list serves and digital communications, so it makes sense to me. Hope they take me up on it and let me help/get involved.

Labels:

posted by Cptn S.A. Ho @ 4:43 PM,

1 Comments:

At Wed Jun 15, 01:53:00 PM EDT, Blogger Carie said...

Sounds like a DC hash, "Some folks are nice, some are a little standoffish. To be honest, it felt a little bit like the first day of high school walking in there for me. You could clearly see which folks stood off on their little crew that felt they were entirely too cool, you could see the folks that were honestly warm and friendly, and the folks that weren't sure they wanted to be there."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home