My Links: Bio | Homestarrunner! | Jeep Goodies | Rate U'r Hangover | Real Men of Genius

 

A retelling of my life in DC and all the stupid ass sh!t I get myself into...



iPhone, Take 2

If you've been following me for the past few years, you might have figured out that I'm both a techie and a gear head. In my techie interests, few battles are quite as heated for me as my never ending phone issues. So it might come as something of a surprise that I'm giving the iPhone another shot after the last go around:


Why did I decide to give it another shot? Well, the track ball started giving me crap with my current BB curve and I started to look around for an upgrade/replacement. Other then running a little slow, I have had very few minor complaints with the device, it really has been great. I just got to the point where I was out growing it, mostly the processor.

I researched the two competing phones that I was interested in, The Blackberry Torch & the iPhone 4. After my previous iPhone and issues with it, I've been keeping a close eye on the market to see if anyone else had the same complaints or issues that I did. As it turns out, they did. Hmmm. Ok. But, how does it stack up to the competition of the Torch? Basically, I checked for things like ease of use, mail service, battery life, usefulness in the rest of my life, etc. When it comes to apps and web capability, the iPhone is a no brainer. Millions of apps vs. 9000 that blackberry offers. Do I really need all those different apps? No, but it's a comparison and this is a category. Next, the all important battery life. This was one of the things that sealed the coffin on the iPhone 3's life in my hands. The result was actually rather shocking... the iPhone 4 takes it hands down. WTG Apple... the people said battery life sucked and you listened!!

Keyboard. Now, this is a tough field since I'm still not 100% sold on the touch screen keyboards. However, both of these devices have them so I tried them both out. Typing was about equal on both. This is, much improved over iPhone 3 imho. Now, the berry does have the slide out qwerty keyboard which is nice so I'll have to give this point to the berry. The next biggie... mail server. Berry is god when it comes to mail servers. They are just better and faster. They used to be faster by days, now they are just faster by a few seconds. Berry still gets the nod, but Apple gets a thumbs up for leaps and bounds of improvement.

Tally it up, and they are about neck and neck when it comes to which one to choose. Even CNET put them almost tied in the ratings, but the iPhone 4 juuuuust barely inched ahead for them. For me? The iPhone made the cut this time as well. I appreciated all of the updates and enhancements they have made. Folders are an option now as well as multitasking. Those Type-A folks will be happy to know that you can kill apps running in the background as often as you'd like AND organize all of your apps in one page of folders. Add the new OS to new more potent battery and the ability to carry both phone/iPod as one device, and you've made a sale.

I'll grant you, I'm only a couple of days into it at this point, but it's looking much better then it did before. One issue that I think they have no plans of addressing: How big of a pain in the a$$ it is to get a decent ringtone on these things. The berries come preloaded with a ton of normal ringers and alarms while the iPhone comes with some and then tries to hit you with charges using iTunes to make you more. Bad form Apple, especially for a device that I just picked up for $300 (with contract, $600 w/o).

Labels:

posted by Cptn S.A. Ho @ 12:41 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home