My Links: Bio | Homestarrunner! | Jeep Goodies | Rate U'r Hangover | Real Men of Genius

 

A retelling of my life in DC and all the stupid ass sh!t I get myself into...



Let the Good Cheese Roll pt. 1

So, some of you may know, I’m currently in a “Biggest Looser” (weight loss) competition at my office. After the holiday’s, everyone gets a little portly so we all try to loose a bit of weight together. Well, some how, I’ve been hustled into running the thing! Ok, that keeps me a little more focused on doing well. In addition to leading this competition, I’ve also been sending out emails that are a little… how shall we say… Cheezy!! With our further a due, here is the initial weigh in email burst that has gone out from me. Let the good cheese roll!! (stay tuned for let the good cheese roll part 2!)

Week 0 - The initial weigh in...

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone that weighed in this morning!! Many of us were not excited with our numbers, but that is what this competition is all about. Making that change!!

I’ve been asked several question regarding what numbers are we tracking, what is body fat %, what is BMI, & what’s that gizmo I held this morning. To answer some of these questions, I’ve done a little research for you. Please read the information below at your leisure.

Exercise plans can come in many forms that differ from person to person. Some will take walks, others will go for runs. Maybe you have a gym in your home or perhaps you prefer to go to the gym down the street. Either way, stay focused and I’m confident we will all come out of this contest in need of some new more flattering clothes!!

I hope we are all able to reach our fitness goals, continue to help one another avoid the temptations of junk foods, and keep up with our exercise plans. Our next weigh in is Thursday, January 17th!

Q&A

What was that gizmo I used this morning?

The Omron Body Fat Analyzer that you used this morning estimates the body fat percentage by the Bioelectrical Impedance (BI) method.

What is the Bioelectrical Impedance Method?

Muscles, blood vessels and bones are body tissues having a high water content that conduct electricity easily. Body fat is tissue that has little electric conductivity. The Body Fat Analyzer sends an extremely weak electrical current of 50 kHz and 500 μA through your body to determine the amount of fat tissue. This weak electrical current is not felt while operating the Body Fat Analyzer. The Bioelectrical Impedance Method safely combines the electric resistance with the distance of the electricity conducted.

What is Body Fat Percentage?

Body fat percentage refers to the amount of body fat mass in regards to the total body weight described in a percentage. This Body Fat Analyzer will provide your specific body fat percentage and body mass. It is also an excellent tool to measure your body fat percentage and body mass on a continuous schedule.

Total body fat percentage consists of essential fat and storage fat. Essential fat is that amount necessary for maintenance of life and reproductive functions. The percentage for women is greater than that for men, due to the demands of childbearing and other hormonal functions. Essential fat is 2-5% in men, and 10-13% in women. Storage fat consists of fat accumulation in adipose tissue, part of which protects internal organs in the chest and abdomen.

How is Body Fat Percentage (quickly) calculated?

Body fat percentage (%) = {Body fat mass (lbs.) / Body weight (lbs.)} x 100

What should my Body Fat be?









What is Body Mass Index (BMI)?

Body mass index (BMI) or Quetelet Index is a statistical measure of the weight of a person scaled according to height. It was invented between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics".

Body mass index is defined as the individual's body weight divided by the square of their height. The formulas universally used in medicine produce a unit of measure of kg/m2. Body mass index may be accurately calculated using any of the formulas below.

How is BMI (quickly) calculated?




Why Body Fat % instead of BMI?

This was choice was up to me and I feel that Body Fat % is a more reliable number when compared to BMI. The most important thing is just to take consistent readings and track our progress.

Will my weight be confidential?

Yes. The only items that will be available for everyone to view is the percent change in your body fat %.

I want to track my weight, can you do that too?

Yes. I am tracking the weight of almost everyone in this competition at their request.

I have a question that wasn’t covered?

Please, come ask me!

Labels: ,

posted by Cptn S.A. Ho @ 3:38 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home